Choice of Games has released The Magician’s Workshop – a 190,000-word interactive historical fantasy novel by Kate Heartfield, whose first ChoiceScript game, The Road to Canterbury, was nominated for the 2018 Nebula Award for Game Writing.
In 1512, Florence is known for ruthless politics, art, and magic. The infamous Medici family has returned after years of exile, and has put the political strategist Machiavelli under house arrest and invited the city to celebrate. This is a city of artists, inventors and philosophers challenging the assumptions of their parents and grandparents, and asking questions about the nature of power. With the ability to work literal magic, what would the treacherous Machiavelli do in a situation like this? Just ask him in person!
When your master’s body washes up in the Arno river, you must take over his Maria Novella workshop – the designs, the paintings, the marvellous machines and inventions, and most importantly, his book of spells, written in various ciphers and magical invisible inks. You have inherited a roster of dangerous clients who are losing patience, and two rival apprentices who could prove allies or even lovers, if they don’t turn on you to wrest the workshop from your hands.
Can you use your skills in the arts or sciences to gain allies and buy time? Are you quick enough with a blade to keep yourself safe in the streets? Are you clever enough to decode the master’s instructions to build a terrible new machine, and are you ruthless enough to sell it to the highest bidder? Or will you work together with your fellow apprentices to build the machine in secret and use it to bring stability to the city, and to all of Italy?
Uncover the magical secrets of Renaissance Italy, before your rival apprentices expose them first!
- Play as male, female or non-binary; gay, straight, bi, asexual or poly
- Use alchemy, animation and soothsaying to create magical entertainments, win street fights and impress your clients
- Design and build a flying machine, an unbreakable vault, a wall-breaking weapon, an enchanted pen and ink for a philosopher, or a refillable gold purse for bribes
- Uncover the secrets of Florence and rise to power in your own workshop, leading your own team of magicians and artists
- Meet famous historical figures such as Niccolo Machiavelli and the future Pope Leo X
- Paint a fresco in the public square, escape your enemies in a boat chase on the Arno River, or just play cards and talk politics in the taverns of Florence
The master made dark sacrifices to learn what he knew. Are you prepared to do the same?
You can play the first three chapters of The Magician’s Workshop for FREE online, or purchase the complete game for Steam, Android, and on iOS in the Choice of Games Omnibus app. It’s currently on sale at 25% off until December 26th. Visit the Choice of Games website for full playing and purchasing options.