Italian developers Open Lab Games and Demigiant have released their narrative choice-based game Football Drama, where you play as Rocco Galliano, the existentially troubled manager of a struggling football team.
Football Drama uses cards and power in fast turn-based matches as part of a football championship, implementing in-match controls to allow for the choice between playing safely or with risk, balancing team conditions. Train players and survive the drama as you choose your own narrative via hard choices and special cards. If you avoid the axe you could win the championship, come to understand the true meaning of football, retire in the French Riviera, end up in jail, or who knows what else!
In Football Drama every goal has a story.
After the abrupt ending of your coaching career seven years ago, the hysterical attention of the press quickly faded. But struggling results by Calchester FC convinced Boris Aluminovitch, its billionaire president, to axe the previous beleaguered manager and give you a new chance.
Will your raucous shouts from the bench change the fate of the team? Will you find wisdom and karma leadership with the help of the Book of Changes? Will your shady past reach back to you and make you crumble?
There is a slim chance that you can make it through a full season. Corruption, crime, drugs and romance are all paths that you may take – for better or worse. This is the only football game where you may lose the championship and win the game!
- Interactive narrative with meaningful game-changing choices
- Karma or chaos: life choices, game choices
- Turn-based match play with live-action animations
- 18 dramatic weeks of procedural championship where you can be fired at any time
- Deck-building mechanics determined by life choices and game results
- Ridiculous cards about the craziest aspects of today’s football
- Illustrated log of each of your matches
- Silly main commentator with his obligatory colourful sidekick
- Replayable – every championship is unique, with several different endings
- Nicely designed user interface by Pino Panzarella
- Stunning illustrated cards and characters by Daniele ‘Demigiant’ Giardini
- Share your wins with friends or enemies
Football Drama is a humorously unique storytelling game about football, self-funded and built by a passionate but small team of three. Note that the Steam version includes additional content: more information, all of the in-depth parts (integrated with achievements) and full-screen illustrations.
Football Drama is available in English, Italian and French via Steam (15% discount until the 26th of September), and for iOS from Apple’s App Store and Android devices from the Google Play Store. Discover more about the game at the Open Lab Games website.